Monday 10 October 2016

October at Landguard Point 8/10/2016

So I decided to take my monthly sojourn down to Felixstowe today, trying to catch up with a rare type of stonechat. The bird seemed to be blown all the way from Siberia and was a real rarity. Of course it wasn't present when I turned up. There was nothing much else about, apart from a couple of RING OUZEL, marking the start of their Autumn migration.
The day promised a lot with stormy weather looking to ground migrants. There were more birds present than when I came down last month with flocks of GOLDINCHES and LINNETS around the more bushy northern section and MIPPITS on the short grassland to the south. Also present were a few lingering WHEATEARS, the last gasp of summer, with a few SWALLOWS flying south.
CHIFFCHAFFS and BLACKCAPS were present and there was one GREY WAGTAIL amongst all the PIED.
It's been a while since I've seen anything unusual now so, with all my local patches coming up empty, but you know fingers crossed and everything. Here's to the future couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment