Saturday 22 July 2017

Day 1 - 8/7 - Travel

Today I got up nice and early to catch the early train to London. Got the train with no mishap, don't  remember anything as all I was thinking about was catching that train to Aviemore. I arrived at Liverpool Street, got the tube fine and got to King's Cross with plenty of time to spare, everything going without a hitch.
 
 
Kings Cross was a bit of a shock. Being from Ipswich I wasn't used to such a large number of people in such a confined space, nowhere from where I came from is as vibrant as that station. When I entered kings cross a weird sight awaited me. There were literally hundreds of people standing  still and silently looking up at the train info boards, waiting expectantly for some train information about their train departures.
I had plenty of time in Kings Cross, but didn't have anything to do, so I just waited silently watching the train info boards.
My train journey flashed up and I got on board the 12:00 train to Aviemore. From London it was a seven and a half hour journey to Aviemore, which meant lots of reading, staring out of the window, and journeys to the buffet bar for some coffee. 
I arrived ok and a bit bored, at my destination. Aviemore felt like a kind of frontier town, a last portal of civilisation before the wilds of Cairngorm. From the station I got a lift to the hotel and checked in.
I got the attic room which had a sloping ceiling that I banged my head on a lot, but it was comfy. It was quite an old fashioned hotel but that was alright. Had a late dinner and went to sleep awaiting the adventure ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment