Tuesday 29 January 2019

The Big Garden Birdwatch - 26/1/2019

The Big Garden Birdwatch event is simply the counting of birds in your garden over an hour's period. Its the biggest such event in the world and allows people to chart the fortunes of our more common birds. I have a large suburban garden, which connects with other gardens to create a large area of habitat, with plenty of trees and unkempt areas, and so attracts birds. Here are the results:

Wood Pigeon - 1
Starling - 28
Goldfinch - 2
Great Tit -2
Blue Tit - 2
Blackbird - 1
Crow - 2
Collared Dove - 2
Magpie -  2
Chaffinch - 1

The numbers and variety are pretty much typical for my garden. The starling flock seems large, but I have loose flocks of several hundred birds wintering in my street, and sometimes I can have close to a hundred birds in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment