Wednesday 27 February 2019

Sculthorpe Moor - 23/2/2019




Having spent most of the day at Titchwell, there was still time left to visit one further reserve as I headed home. As Sculthorpe was on the way I decided to stop off there, because its a reserve I enjoy going to and it often gives good views of birds. However as I discovered at the visitors centre the reserve had a crazy closing time of 4 o'clock, which gave me just over an hour to spend at the reserve, which is no time at all. At this time of year, dusk is around half five, so it seems strange to close so early, its not really too difficult to extend the opening times.
The birds of the moment, reported on all the twitter feeds were three species of REDPOLL, and they were luckily hanging around near the entrance to the reserve in an area of alders. There was a bit of a twitch going on, around ten people present, telescope and binoculars at the ready, but the birds hadn't been seen for sometime. I hung around for bit, but with so little time remaining, I decided to move on. Further along in some alder trees were a pair of MARSH TITS, very active and issuing their 'pitchu' call, whilst at Whitley Hide a female BULLFINCH was present feeding on the ground beneath a bird feeder.

The female BRAMBLING (second bird from the left) and the male (fourth bird from the left)
 

In the aerial, treetop hide, windows looked onto bird feeders, and amongst a flock of CHAFFINCHES, were three BRMABLINGS, a male and two females. These finches are winter visitors, arriving in this country in moderate numbers, but can be quite tricky to find, they nest in the huge areas of forests in northern Europe. They are an attractive finch, and this has to be the best view I have ever had of one (or three), the birds were literally at arms length from me. Also present, strangely in some treetops, was a male REED BUNTING.
I made it down to the furthest hide, but there was a volunteer telling us to head back as the reserve was closing. Its a bit annoying, with such a relaxed hobby, as birdwatching is, to have such a strict opening time policy, on a weekend when there was still an hour and a half of light left. Don't get me wrong, this is a great reserve and you can see I saw a lot in such a short time, but the birds don't shut down when the reserve does. Oh well.

Female BRAMBLING (in the centre of the bird table)
 

On the way back to the car park I saw a RED KITE flying over the bordering farmland,and there were several chickens walking about around the car park.
I left Sculthorpe and I headed back home, a little disappointed for sure, but still buzzing from a great day with some great birding done. It beats work that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment