Thursday 26 September 2019

Minsmere part 2 - Ringing and Reedbeds - 19/9/2019



The North Bushes are an area of scrub situated just the other side of the Scrape to the sea. They are a migrant trap that often attracts birds as its the first area of rest and food they get to after they have flown in off the sea. There were plenty of WARBLERS here today, with LESSER WHITETHROATS, CHIFFCHAFFS and BLACKCAPS present amongst the bushes. There were lots of blackberries growing on the brambles, providing a banquet for these birds.

A bird in the hand - CHIFFCHAFF
 

There was also bird ringing going on there. The Waveney bird ringers were giving demonstrations of their craft. In their nets they would capture birds and bring them out to the waiting crowd that had formed. From there they would take measurmemnts, ring the bird, and then let one of the spectators release it back into the wild.
 

 CHIFFCHAFF being weighed
 

CHIFFCHAFF being ringed

 
While I was there they showed a ROBIN, CHIFFCHAFF and REED WARBLER. The reed warbler was the latest date I have seen this species, they often migrate away much earlier. I was given the honour of releasing that bird back into the wild.


REED WARBLER - I was lucky to be given the job of releasing it back into the wild.
 
After witnessing the bird ringing I had finished the scrape area, and with that done I headed off to the reedbed hides. In the first part of the blog I detailed what I saw around the Scrape, and in this section I shall finish on the reedbed ones.
The Bittern Hide was quiet, just a few HARRIERS. In the area of woodland past that hide a TIT flock included a couple of MARSH TITS, which I have found hard to connect with this year, hopefully just because its me and not because they are becoming scarce.
After hearing them around the reserve, their metallic 'pinging' call, I finally saw some BEARDED TITS at Island Mere with a few birds flying in and out of the reeds.
Out on the water a large flock of GADWALL had formed with over 150  present, within which were mixed small numbers of TUFTED DUCK, both GREBES and COOT.
And that concluded a marathon session of birdwatching, one that only Minsmere can deliver. Its such a great reserve, with such a variety, of habitats, and birds. Its also a place to restore some soul, when I come off a busy week of work, to unwind in the wild, to  become one with nature, away from that artificial world we humans have created for ourselves. Long may places like this continue to thrive, for us as much as anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment