Friday 25 September 2020

Newton to Crastor - 10/9/2020

 

Dunstanburgh Castle

The walk I did today, my last full day in Northumbria, took in a new, picturesque area of the coast, a ramble from Newton Links to Crastor. The walk took in many sandy bays, rocky headlands and undulating dunes as well as the nature reserve at Newton Pool and the ruined castle at Dunstanburgh. It was a thoroughly enjoyable walk, bracing in the fresh coastal winds. In the end although it was not overly bird filled, it was new country for me, one I relished exploring.

The first bird I saw on the walk, was not one I was expecting. Strangely enough it was a GUINEA FOWL, a female, just randomly on a field edge, far away from any settlement it must be a very lonely bird far from home. A bit further on there was a large flock of 50+ LINNET feeding on an area of farmland just inland from the dunes. A nice bird, linnets are an indicator species for the countryside, if there are flocks of linnets then the area is still bird friendly, when they disappear the area can't support birds.

GUINEA FOWL

To begin with there were some quiet sandy bays in an area known as Football Hole. In the sandy areas, usually out of the way of dog walkers, small flocks of SANDERLING were present, feeding around the tide edge. The sand was separated from each other by rocky headlands which poke out further into the sea. On this habitat I found TURNSTONE, REDSHANK and RINGED PLOVERS, the usual WADERS of this landscape.


SANDERLING

Things became busy around Lower-Newton-by-the-Sea, as it was a centre for tourists, bringing in all the dog walkers and other bird disturbers. Just south of this small village was the National Trust reserve of Newton Pools. As I meandered down I passed a small flash of water in a sheep field. On the edge of this were three sleeping BAR HEADED GEESE, which I guess were escapees from some wildfowl collection. They're usually found in Central Asia, so wild birds would be a bit lost to end up here. Also present were 16 WIGEON, the first of the winter, making this a nice spot for birds. Further down there was a hide which overlooked the pool. Unfortunately due to the virus it was closed, but further along I was able to get a brief glimpse of the pool over a hedge. It was small, but very busy with small numbers of GADWALL, SHOVELLER and TEAL among the usual MALLARDS. The pool was edged by an area of marsh which was grazed by Exmoor ponies, a well looked after little reserve.

PIED WAGTAIL - the most common or noticeable of the birds out today 

Moving back to the coast path brought the large sweeping vista of Embleton Bay into view, a large, curved stretch of sand, over which loomed the ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle. Being in a fairly touristy spot meant the area was busy, but not in a claustrophobic way, just enough to scare the birds away, so I passed through this area fairly quickly.

As I got to the castle, I came across a flock of  around 100 HOUSE MARTINS, just beneath the walls. The birds had gathered in a large flock and at points would rest on the bracken that grew on the hill beneath the castle. I took loads of photos, thinking I had got the image of the holiday. But as I walked off I realised I had got the camera settings wrong, and hurrying back I found the birds had all gone. They had departed in the space of ten minutes, with not a single bird left, it just brings home the wonders of migration.

HOUSE MARITNS

The final walk from the castle, across a grassy plain was busy with people. I finally finished my walk by ending up at Crastor, a nice little fishing village now a tourist centre.

And so ended my time in Northumbria, a nice little sojourn to an area of the country I really enjoy visiting. Because despite being very touristy, the area somehow has that aura of mystery which keeps the area feeling wild, a bit like Suffolk. However unlike Suffolk it was a place of dramatic landscape, it is also an area that has different birds to what we have here in East Anglia, a very different place. And if things improve then I will most definitely return next year. 

I hope I have conveyed some what in these blogs the feeling of awe and mystery that I have with these connections with nature. It is truly with this connection that I am able see into my soul and feel my way through this world. And I hope you, the reader, enjoy reading these blogs as much as I enjoy writing them. Please keep reading and maybe we too will also have some connection. 

And please leave some comment.












No comments:

Post a Comment