Friday 22 October 2021

The River Gipping - 14/10/2021


BLACK HEADED GULL

To be honest there isn't really much to report about in this post, a write up of the range of sites that lie along the river Gipping and all the birds they don't contain. I only really write this blog entry for a need to be complete in my birding write ups, to provide details about even this, the most quietest of birding sites. That's what I tell myself anyway, rather than seeing myself as a masochist, deliberately goading myself to see as few birds as possible. It was just a trip out to the Gipping to see what, if any, Autumn migration was taking place in the area.


GREAT TIT


As usual I parked up at Needham Lake, on the edge of Needham Market, and walked down the river to Pipp's Ford. Needham was, as usual, quiet, with lots of people walking round and fishing etc. there really is too much disturbance to attract any birds beyond the begging mongrelly MALLARDS and CANADA GEESE. There were six MUTE SWANS and one GREAT CRESTED GREBES the only truly wild birds. A KINGFISHER was an all to brief beautiful shot down the river.


EGYPTIAN & CANADA GEESE

It can be a bit of a slog getting down to the furthest lakes, even more so when there's few birds. The River Gipping held good numbers of GREY WAGTAILS all along the stretch of water, a bird at its peak migration. The first lake after Needham, Alderson Lake, is heavily fished and held no birds. A short walk further took me to the edge of the Pipp's Ford area with Riverside Farm Pit, a tiny little lake who's edges are grazed tight by horses. It doesn't attract many birds, but today, three EGYPTIAN GEESE were of interest, probably the largest number of this species I have seen in the area. MUTE SWANS have had a good breeding season, with three pairs raising young in the area, at Needham Lake, Riverside Farm Pit and Pipp's Ford Exhausted Quarry.


River Gipping

Once more there was a small trip down the river that led me to Pippin's Lake, another small lake surrounded by tall trees. This is usually the best water for DUCK numbers and today there were 28 GADWALL, 3 WIGEON, 2 COOT and 3 LITTLE EGRET, a decent haul for the time of year. Also present were a pair of GREEN SANDPIPER, one of the iconic birds of the area, they are seen pretty much all through the year at this site, all over the area. In the trees a SISKIN was heard, my first of the Autumn.

                                                                
                Active Quarry, looking like the surface of the moon

After Pippins Lake the Active Quarry is the next port of call, and to be honest it was birdless, typical for the day. Bleeding hell this was getting depressing, all I can ask is please give me some birds! And so it was one further trudge down the river to get to the Exhausted Quarry, and boy it wasn't worth the effort. The site had lost a lot of water, and as a result was fairly birdless except for a family of SWANS. And then I walked back to Needham fairly disappointed.


Pippin's Lake

I drove down to Barham Pits, telling myself there might be something about, but there was nothing on the barren lakes, and again I ask myself why I do this. Two KINGFISHERS were on Barham Pit B with three COOT, that was really it. Being the only birdwatcher in the area I tell myself this site needs my attention, and if I leave it a few months between visits, I can forget the previous trips, and convince myself that I need to visit again.



Having a good scratch: a pair of HIGHLAND COWS graze a meadow over the other side of the river to Papermill  Reedbeds


Rounding off a birdless day I had a look at the meadows around Papermill Reedbed, but I was able to get a quick glance of a STOAT which ran through the grass.




CANADA GEESE, Needham Lake

I have a conflict with writing about days like this, days when I wonder why I birdwatch and why I write this blog. Its just boring to write about and just as boring for you to read. And in the end its just trudging round the countryside with no aim, utterly pointless. But then another part of me needs to write something about this day, because for a site like this I'm the only one watching there, and because ignored sites like this need some attention every so often. And thinking like that is what gets me through another birdless visit and brings me back to see no birds again .
















No comments:

Post a Comment