Saturday 25 February 2017

Local Patch - Not Much New - 25/2/2017

As I no longer drink anymore, I find that I have Saturdays free now that I am not hungover any more. So what better way of spending the day than the relaxing and healthy pursuits of cycling and birding. I headed out to the local patches of lakes and quarries along the river Gipping, giving me about an hours worth of strenuous cycling. Overall there wasn't too much to get excited about bird wise: Doris just didn't blow in anything interesting. We have come to an in between period, between the cold of deep winter and the rejuvenation of Spring, but hopefully things will pick up.

 
Pipp's Ford
Looking good for the Spring, and still with a healthy population of wintering ducks. Most numerous were GADWALL with around 30 spread throughout the site, whilst SHOVELLER numbered 10 on the new excavations, and 5 TEAL and singles of TUFTED DUCK and LITTLE GREBE on the finished pit along with a pair of SWANS. The first wader of the Spring, an OYSTERCATCHER, was present on the new excavation.
There were good numbers of TREECREEPERs in the woodland along the river, squabbling and establishing territories, whilst there was a pair of KINGFISHER on River Farm Pit, which fingers crossed means they may nest there this year.

River Farm Pit

Stamford Mere and Causeway Lake
Again fairly quiet. Stamford Mere held a flock of 22 WIGEON, along with a single GREAT CRESTED GREBE, whilst Causeway Lake held only one SWAN, due to disturbance from a fishing competition.

I didn't go to Barham Pits so I haven't completely covered the area, but I might head over there some time in the future couple of weeks, just to be thorough.

Please let me know what you think of my blog, and any areas which you recommend for birding. I would like to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment