Wednesday 19 April 2017

Landguard Point - 19/4/2017

 
 
 
Not much really to report from today, this Spring has, so far, been fairly uneventful for me. I keep persevering though and maybe the local area might turn up something exciting. Today I tried Landguard point, hoping to catch some migrants at this (usually good) hotspot.
Keeping myself carbon neutral, I biked, then Trained, then biked again reaching the reserve around 11, but came out with not much to report. 
 
The nice sunny weather didn't help much, as it allows migrants to pass overhead rather than grounding them where I can see them.
There were loads of WHEATEAR about, strangely when there were few other migrants. Other observers said there were 40 + present, which seems about right, they can mostly be seen in the more open southern section and in the roped off areas, often in loose groupings.
The only other grounded migrant was a YELLOWHAMMER, which although fairly uncommon here is abundant on the fields near where I live, which just shows how geographical areas affect bird populations.
 
 
LINNETS are extremely common at Landgurad, appearing in small flocks all over the reserve. I can't really complain but they do make birdwatching harder, having more birds to check.
 
 
Large areas of the beach had been roped off to allow RINGED PLOVERS to nest without disturbance. Because their camouflage is so good its quite hard to spot them, but this chap, above, was checking the edge of his territory, which happened to be a short distance from where I stood (outside the ropes).


No comments:

Post a Comment