Friday 3 May 2019

Landguard Point & Fort

Male WHEATEAR

I have never been to Landguard in May, so I did a little trip over to see what I was missing. The first week in May is the peak time of Spring migration, but after that things wind down quickly for the nesting season. So far Spring hasn't been too great, and it would prove so today with a relatively quiet day down at Felixstowe. While I was at the Point I also decided to view the fort there, an historical site nestled into this spit of land.
I decided to take the bus down, as there is a handy service that goes straight to the Point. It takes an hour, which can be very frustrating, at every stop I groan - please just keep going. But in the end most of my birding is done by sustainable methods, it seems a bit stupid to poison the earth in search of birds and that's the way it has to go to protect the world we live in.
I got off the bus, headed out on the reserve, came upon the bird observatory and the tall trees there, hidden behind a tall fence, but they were quiet. Passed that are some buildings, that seem derelict, which has a resident flock of HOUSE SPARROWS, but little else. I followed the river and cut inside where I found my first WHEATEAR of the day. The area by the tip  of the point is where it becomes mostly grass and  is the best place to view these birds. This one was quite tame allowing me to get close to photograph it. I also found another of this species further along.
 

Male BLACKBIRD - if you look closely enough you can see its been ringed
 
At the grassy area near the point I came across two WHITE WAGTAILS. These birds are the continental version of our common PIED WAGTAILS. As their name suggests they are a lot paler, with milky grey backs and tails, the only black being on their bibs. It was a nice find and there were plenty of PIED WAGTAILS present for comparison.
Around this point I came across a couple of RINGED PLOVERS. They nest on the beach here in small numbers, protected from disturbance in roped off areas. The birds I saw were beyond the ropes, but weren't really pleased with me being there so I took a couple of photos and let them be.
I walked back up the point. LINNETS were ever present, the Point is able to sustain a large breeding population, which is good when they are declining badly in the general countryside. The birds were probably the most numerous species on the Point.
At the top of the point it becomes more scrubby with scattered bramble bushes growing here and there. In this area I heard and saw a LESSER WHITETHROAT. Despite its name its not smaller than the common whitethroat, but has a slate grey plumage, giving it a more pronounced white throat.
 


 
 The reserve was quiet and it didn't take long to complete a circuit. It was time to catch a coffee from the café and have a look at the fort.

Landguard Fort
 
Inside the Keep
 
Nestled between the nature reserve and the dock complex is Landguard Fort. Its an English Heritage property protecting some ancient buildings. It was originally founded during the reign of Henry VIII, but has been amended many times over the century. It doesn't face out to the sea, but looks over the Stour river to protect the docks at Harwich.
 
 These kind of look like Easter Island heads
 
 
The fort has two rows of walls protecting a large keep. It was interesting walking around the place, the various rooms. Most of the place were empty, and the people who lived there must have been small in height because there was little head room.
 

 

 
Unfortunately the views from the fort overlooked the Point car park and café, with the docks behind.
It was a nice little de tour from bird watching, and I recommend anyone out there to go visit it.
So I left Landguard feeling satisfied having had a good day out. Places where there is so much human history, yet with so much natural history present, is worth preserving for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment